ICE AGENT Accused Of FIRING THROUGH CLOSED DOOR During Raid

A federal immigration agent faces criminal charges in Minnesota after prosecutors say he fired through a closed door during a raid, striking a man in the leg while children were inside the home, igniting a fierce legal battle between state and federal authorities over who has jurisdiction to prosecute law enforcement.

State Charges Federal Agent With Assault

Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty announced charges Monday against ICE agent Christian Castro in connection with a January 14 shooting in north Minneapolis. Castro faces four counts of second-degree assault and one count of falsely reporting a crime. Prosecutors allege Castro fired through the front door of a duplex while standing alone in the yard, under no physical threat, knowing people had just run inside. The bullet struck Julio Cesar Sosa-Celis in the leg before lodging in the wall of a child’s bedroom.

Moriarty directly challenged federal authority, stating Castro’s badge does not make him immune from state prosecution for criminal conduct in Minnesota. The county also disputed the Department of Homeland Security’s initial public account, which claimed officers were assaulted with a broom handle and snow shovel. Prosecutors now say those claims were false, noting the DHS press release containing these statements remains on the agency’s website.

Federal Officials Push Back Hard

ICE called Minnesota’s prosecution unlawful and a political stunt by sanctuary politicians. A spokesperson told The Center Square that the U.S. Attorney’s Office is actively investigating statements made under oath connected to the case, noting that lying under oath is a serious federal offense. The spokesperson warned officers may face disciplinary action, including termination or criminal prosecution, stating ICE agents are held to the highest standards and violations of their sworn oath will not be tolerated.

The shooting occurred during Operation Metro Surge, which brought thousands of federal agents to the Twin Cities earlier this year. Federal officials, including White House border czar Tom Homan, defended the operation, saying agents apprehended more than 4,000 individuals, including violent offenders and gang members. The operation sparked sustained protests, particularly following the January shootings.

Constitutional Clash Over Authority

Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison backed the prosecution, declaring no one is above the law and that Minnesota must hold people accountable for harming residents. The state is now pursuing more than a dozen additional investigations of federal law enforcement conduct. Moriarty said there is no modern precedent for what happened to people in Minnesota. Minneapolis released security camera footage of the incident last month, captured from a distance. The case raises fundamental questions about whether states can prosecute federal agents for actions taken during official duties.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent

Weekly Wrap

Trending

You may also like...

RELATED ARTICLES