A Texas teenager convicted of stabbing a 17-year-old at a high school track meet is demanding a new trial after revelations that prosecutors and defense attorneys secretly agreed to hide explosive evidence from jurors, including racist messages and violent fantasies.
Secret Agreement Shielded Inflammatory Evidence
Karmelo Anthony, 19, received a 35-year prison sentence for killing Austin Metcalf during a confrontation at a Dallas-area stadium in 2025. Anthony’s new legal team argues the June trial was fundamentally flawed because both sides agreed to suppress critical evidence. Jurors never heard that Anthony previously texted about fantasizing about stabbing someone, or that Metcalf had a documented history of using racist language and fighting with Black classmates. Defense attorney Russell Wilson told the court that a shadow docket shielded character information about both parties.
Prosecutor Bill Wirskye defended the arrangement Thursday, saying all parties wanted to reduce tensions in a case that generated nationwide attention and death threats. Wirskye revealed he agreed not to present evidence showing Anthony had an obsession with weapons and arrived at the track meet angry and spoiling for a fight. The prosecutor maintained that witness testimony clearly established Anthony as the aggressor who provoked the fatal encounter, not acting in self-defense as claimed.
Racial Tensions and Threats Surrounded Case
The case drew intense scrutiny after social media posts highlighted that Anthony is Black and Metcalf was white, despite both legal teams telling jurors race played no role. Mike Howard, Anthony’s original lead attorney, said both sides wanted to turn down the temperature on inflammatory racial aspects. Families of both the victim and convicted killer reported harassment as national attention intensified. Wirskye described threats against a judge who granted Anthony bond, fake autopsy reports circulating online, and witness intimidation attempts. He stated that lawyers on both sides feared for their lives.
What This Means
Anthony already secured one legal victory when the original trial judge was removed Wednesday after giving a television interview saying jurors got it right with their guilty verdict. Judge Michael Chitty now oversees the retrial motion, with a ruling expected after Friday’s continuation of hearings. The case raises questions about how courts handle racially charged cases and whether suppressing evidence to manage public opinion undermines fair trials. Witnesses testified the confrontation began when Anthony refused to leave a tent belonging to Metcalf’s team during a rainy spring day competition involving multiple schools.
